Magnolia Bakery’s Vanilla Cupcakes
I first visited Magnolia Bakery in NYC about 3 years ago. They were giving out samples of several cupcakes while I was waiting in line. I tasted the Vanilla Vanilla cupcake and it changed my life! I had never tasted anything like it. I ate as many as I could during the visit. Since I could only take so many with me, I had to figure out a way to hold me over until my next visit. So I got the recipe online, tweaked it to perfection and here it is.
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 2 (1/2 cup-12 capacity) muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.