Magnolia Bakery’s Vanilla Buttercream Icing
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
6 to 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl.
- On the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add 2 cup of the sugar and half of the milk. Beat until smooth.
- Add the rest of the sugar and milk.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Continue to beat until smooth and creamy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar (if needed), 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. You can add a little more milk if icing gets too thick. You may not need to add all of the sugar.
- If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly. (Use and store the icing at room temperature because icing will set if chilled.
Icing can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.