Since my daughter doesn’t eat refined sugar, I have to get a little creative when it comes to dessert. The first time I made this pie, my husband and I couldn’t believe it didn’t have any sugar. Needless to say, she can devour a whole pie with very little help. As she says, “It’s golden honey good!”
4 braeburn apples (you can also use Fuji, Granny Smith or Pink Lady)
1 pk of frozen pie crusts (I prefer Wholly Organic Whole Wheat Pie Shells—healthier and you can’t tell the difference!)
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon vanilla flavor
¼ cup honey
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Thaw pie crust.
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- Add apples and all other ingredients (except butter) to a bowl and mix well.
- Pour the coated apples into the pie crust.
- Cut the tablespoon of butter into small pieces and sprinkle over the apples.
- Place the 2nd pie crust on top of the bottom crust and slowly remove it from the pie pan.
- Press the edge of the top crust down to seal with the bottom crust.
- Cut several 1 inch slits into the top crust
- Brush the crust with water (or you can brush with an egg if you like).
- Place the pan on top of a cookie sheet and place in the oven. (The cookie sheet helps the bottom crust bake evenly.)
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown.