For the entire year that led up to my 40th birthday, everyone kept asking me the same question, “What are you going to do to celebrate?” And they all seemed so disappointed when I said, “Nothing really.” But apparently, my plans for a quiet birthday this year fell on deaf ears. My friends had other ideas.
Imagine how shocked I was when I arrived at a restaurant to see two of my closest friends yell, “Surprise!” They had flown in just to celebrate with me on my birthday.
We had such a great time doing what we do best…eating, talking and laughing.
In that moment, I realized how blessed I am to have such amazing women as friends. It also reminded me of what true friends will do for you:
- They will show up when you need them (even when you didn’t realize that you did).
- They will tell you when your outfit is not working, when your mascara is running, when your spanx are showing and when are committing any other fashion crime.
- They are genuinely happy when something good happens in your life (even when things are not going well for them).
- They will lie for you when absolutely necessary (within reason, of course).
- They can be trusted not to throw your mistakes in your face. But…
- They will gently remind you when you are about to make the same one again.
- They know the difference between when you want advice and when you just want to vent.
- They do not tear you down to make them feel better about themselves.
- They NEVER judge you or the stupid things you might do.
- They will not say anything behind your back that they will not say to your face.
- They will tell you the truth and call you on your mess even (and especially) when you don’t want to hear it.
- They don’t have to talk to you for months but when they do, you pick up right where you left off.
- They give to your friendship just as much as they take.
- They add value to your life.
- They accept and love you for who you are and not what you have.
Did I forget any? What else do true friends do?
Follow me on twitter @herlifeinspired