Summer officially kicks off this weekend! What better way to get it started than by firing up the grill for the first BBQ of the season. In addition to the usual favorites, add some flavor to your backyard bash with these delicious recipes.
Grilled Steak Marinade
Now I’m sure you think you already have a great recipe for grilling a steak. And you might be right. But I promise, you have not tasted a steak like this before. The interesting combo of ingredients gives the meat a flavor unlike anything you have ever tasted. Trust me on this…
4 Beef Grilling Steaks
½ cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons ketchup
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon pepper
2 small onions, sliced (optional)
- Whisk all ingredients together.
- Pour over steaks and onions and let marinate for at least 3 hours, turning frequently.
- Preheat grill.
- Grill steaks to your desired temperature.
Honey Chicken Kabobs
¼ cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup soy sauce
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 lbs chicken breasts
2 garlic cloves
3 small onions
1 red pepper (optional)
1 green pepper (optional)
1 pint of whole mushrooms
- Rinse the chicken breast and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Cut the onions (and peppers) into pieces large enough to fit onto a skewer. You can leave the mushroom whole, cut them in half or into thick slices.
- In a bowl, whisk together the oil, honey, soy sauce and pepper.
- Pour a little of the marinade into a small bowl to set aside for brushing onto kabobs while cooking.
- Add the chicken, onions, mushrooms (and peppers) and the marinade to a large ziploc bag.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or longer for even more flavor).
- Soak skewers for 20 minutes before you are ready to assemble skewers.
- Preheat the grill.
- Drain the marinade from the bag.
- Thread the chicken, onions, mushrooms (and peppers) onto skewers.
- Lightly oil the barbeque grate and add skewers to the grill.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes until chicken juices run clear.
- Turn a few times and brush with marinade set aside.
Strawberry and Basil Salad
8 cups of romaine lettuce (sometimes I use red leaf or spring mix)
2 cups strawberries
¼ cup sliced Vidalia onions
¼ cup torn fresh basil
Marzetti’s Pomegranate Dressing
- Combine ingredients together and toss with dressing to taste.
This is one of my favorite cocktails. Sweet and refreshing!
2-4 oz light rum (depending on how strong you like your drink)
4 teaspoons sugar OR ½ oz simple syrup
8-10 mint leaves
a wedge of lime
Garnish—a mint sprig and 2 or 3 blackberries
- Add the sugar, blackberries, and mint to cocktail shaker. Squeeze in the juice from one of the lime wedges. Smash with a muddler or wooden spoon until berries are crushed.
- Add the rum and ½ cup of ice and shake well.
- Strain the mixture into a glass of crushed ice. I like to add some of the thicker berry juice from the strainer into the glass.
- Top with club soda, garnish with mint and berries and serve.
And of course, you can’t go wrong with a nice ripe slice of watermelon!
If you try any of the recipes, please leave a comment to let me know what you thought. What are you looking forward to eating at your BBQ?
Follow me on twitter @herlifeinspired